Valentine's Day Florist Preparation Tips
Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday this year, this can mean a drop of up to 30% in flower sales.
Why is this you might ask?
- As it’s a weekend couple may go out for dinner or away for a weekend rather than buying flowers
- As they are not in work they have more access to supermarkets and other shops that sell flowers for Valentine’s Day
- It is easier to deliver flowers to a workplace than to a home – someone will accept the delivery in a workplace, you may have to re deliver a couple of times to find someone at home
- If a couple are only recently together there is more chance of knowing each other’s work address than home address.
- The second bouquet for the mistress may not be ordered as it can’t be delivered to the person’s home. Every florist can tell you the story of a Valentine’s Day Bouquet being ordered for the partner and their lover.
- Secret admirers may only know a work address and not know a home address
What can I do to overcome this?
Email or Text previous customers at least 2 weeks before Valentines Day - Offer a discount or promotion like Free delivery by ordering before a certain date.
Create a Friday Special Arrangement - Order this arrangement to be delivered on Friday 12th and get a Free Teddy / Chocolates etc - this arrangement does not have to be red roses, the cheaper coloured roses may make it more affordable, and if pre-ordered arrangements can be made in advance using long lasting flowers like Cymbidium.
- Plan your Social Media advertising campaign / promoted posts
Keep in mind
- Who is your target market ? Male / Female
- What is your target market age group
- What is your target location ? Local / 10 mile radius
- Run a competition for a Free bouquet of flowers on different social Media Platforms
- Schedule post on your social media for the week coming up to Valentines Day, you wont get time to post
Prepare your Local Advertising
- Door to door leaflet drop
- Local newspaper advertisement
- Radio competition & advertising
- Temporary outside signage
- Temporary “A” boards outside on footpath
- Local advertising boards in shops/post office / doctors surgeries / local companies/factories/colleges
Things to be preparing in your shop
- Assembly Porto Boxes for hand tied bouquets
- Add flower food into the plastic inserts
- Have you enough in stock ?
- Now is the time to contact Michael at Floral Box
- Pre-Arranging – Hand tie greens prepared in bundles
- Pricing – If possible have a lower price point with 30 or 40 cm roses for cash and wrap
- Single Roses – Have plenty of single roses wrapped and ready to go - display these with a box of chocolates or teddies for quick pick up sales.
- Promote your business - Mother's Day is just around the corner – Enclose an offer for March in every delivery
- Check last years sales - this will give you a good idea when pre-ordering flowers , If you don't have records from last year start keeping them for this year, these records will make life so much easier for you next year.
Bouquet Essentials Preparation
- Start preparing and making all your bows - Do you need a reminder “how to make the bows” ?
- Prepare all your hand tied strings. - Do you need a reminder how to tie your strings ?
- Cut and fold all your Cellophanes and tissue /decoration papers. - o Do you need a reminder how to fold the cellophane ?
- Stock up on Gift cards / envelopes, Attach shop stickers if needed
- Print off your care and price cards
- Prepare a selection choice and price plan for your staff.
- Valentines Day Gifts and Teddies?? Have you sourced a supplier?
- Negotiated a price with your supplier for top quality Red Rose
3 weeks Before Valentines Day
- Roster in the extra hours staff will need to work.
- Book temp staff, rope in family and friends, but make sure they know what their job is and they are capabale of preforming the tasks.
- Nominate ONE delivery manager, too many involved in this can create mayhem.
- Organise the delivery route and roster for each driver.
- Brief the delivery men – do you have a code of dress? Do you have a standard greeting for when they deliver flowers? Are they knowledgeable of the area? let them help you with the delivery route that will work best.
- Have numbers for local taxi companies in case of emergency.
Stock up your kitchen with bottles of water and soft drinks, fruit snacks & granola bars and packets of soup, Organise a delivery of sandwiches during the days prior to Valentines Day as no one will have time to eat properly.
- Check the first aid kit for plasters & paracetamol in case of cuts or headaches
After Valentine’s Day
Show Appreciation – Give your staff a token of your appreciation for their commitment to making Valentine’s Day a success – free flowers to bring home maybe??
Do you or your staff need a refresher course in Hand Tied Bouquet techniques? Including wrapping, presentation, pricing etc ? Email Janette at email@example.com